Child Abuse Awareness
We want you to be aware of how widespread child abuse is*:
- … today, over 9,000 cases of child abuse will be reported to authorities nationwide.
- Every 10 seconds a report of child abuse is made.
- 5 children die every day from child abuse and neglect
- 1 in 4 girls; 1 in 6 boys will be sexually abused before 18 years of age
- 12% of girls were 10 or younger
- 27% boys were 10 or younger
Children just want the abuse to stop and they turn to the Children’s Justice Center (CJC) for help. It is up to us in the community to make this happen. We need your help and support.
Utah County Statistics
Get the true facts about child abuse:
Sex Abuse is caused by strangers?
Do children make up reports of sexual abuse?
Does abuse only happen in the poor parts of town?
Most cases of child abuse involve someone who is known to the child and has access to them. Some are relatives, some are friends of the family, some are acquaintances. Less than 2% are strangers. Many sexual abusers have no other criminal history for any other type of crime, hold a job, and pay their taxes. You could not tell by looking at them that they sexually abused a child or teen.
Children and teens rarely lie and only come forward at great risk and with trepidation. They fear social humiliation and rejection to reveal something so personal and private. When children recant a report of child abuse it is most often due to pressure from non-supportive family members or because they fear worse retaliation.
Child sexual abuse can and does occur in all socioeconomic groups and income levels.
What Can You Do?
- TRUST your instincts
(Notice how you are feeling and don’t let your child go with someone if you have an uneasy feeling.)
- TEACH your children the safety tips.
- LISTEN to victims and, reassure them that they did the right thing by speaking up.
- REPORT suspected child abuse.
- EVERYONE can make it okay for children and teens to speak up and be believed.
PAY IT FORWARD AND DONATE to make a big difference in the life of an abused child.
PARTICIPATE in our events to raise funds.
VOLUNTEER to do a service project or collect items on our needs list.